We all have them right? Something happens, the wind shifts and the next thing we know our lives change. Sometimes it’s for the good, other times…well not so much.
I had coffee with a good friend of mine tonight and we spent most of our conversation catching up. Slowly we slipped into a discussion about life changes. It got me thinking. Where have my life changing moments come from? Many were born from experience. I can say with all honesty that in my thirty-three years I have encountered more life changing moments than some people experience in an entire life span. Okay, I can’t claim to have done it all, but on those tests psychologists make you take to determine how much stress you’ve encountered resulting from major life events…let’s just say I score HIGH. It’s been rough, yet rewarding.
But it’s not just those major events that have produce self-awareness and change. In fact some of the biggest internal changes occurred while my nose was buried deep within a book. It’s these books I want to share with you. These books that – in the immortal words of C + C Music Factory – make you go hmmm. This list is nowhere near exhaustive and does not include the many fiction novels that have inspired me.
Drum roll please…..
- Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau
- Who Will Cry When You Die? Life Lessons from the Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma
- Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live by Martha Beck
- Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings by Kelly Rae Roberts
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
- On Writing by Stephen King
There you have it folks. A glimpse into the inner workings of Moi. ;)
Note to Reader: I completely realize how strange it is that I incorporated a ridiculous song like Things That Make You Go Hmmm in an otherwise serious post. Such is my brain.